- On November 21. 2017, the answer by Jean Huber to a question on invalidity of subspecies and their detriment to species identification, conservation, and understanding based on a Crenichthys case is published (see FAQ 48).
- On October 12. 2017, the third issue, second year, (28 pages) of Killi-Data News has been published and sent to all active members as a PDF. [please note that a detailed analysis of Freyhof's clarifying post-molecular work on Aphanius anatoliae group leads (1) to accept, in Killi-Data, iconii, fontinalis and meridionalis as revalidated species with (some) molecular differences (not obvious for fontinalis) and with importantly new clear diagnoses of live males (vs. all other components of that group), (2) to accept anatoliae, splendens, sureyanus, and transgrediens as distinct species (not subspecies anymore), but (3) NOT to accept maeandricus and saldae as distinct species because of lack of new diagnoses for them and because of some ambiguity on conservation issues vs. systematics on saldae/splendens (however further studies are needed and this position may be changed in the future -further way or back-, like amways in systematics). Aquarium populations have been reallocated to newly defined accepted as valid species [Jean Huber].
- Previous alerts in this page are to be read at INDEX-ARCHIVES.
- The "guest" or "public" section is fully open and anonymous (no e-mail needed to enter) and it is fully updated with automatic programmes and a list of alerts (brand new latest publications) plus their inventories at FLASH-ARCHIVES
- The "members" section is restricted to members after free REGISTRATION, with 9 ethical commitments.
- The "members" section mainly contains the knowledge base and all killiflash since at least 1961 (all major publications on killifish with reference, abstract and/or short analysis for each) : to freely check the contents of the database, please read the SAMPLE page, or if you intend to write an article, ask for a GRATUITY page of a given name of killifish.
- The "guest" section holds a lot of advertising (please readily click on links if interested) : this is aimed to cover the costs of webhosting each year so that personal costs to the editor (Dr Jean H. Huber) are limited.
- This is not any more, at the generic level, a mirror of current research in case of published conflicts (it became too unstable since 2009) but an objective and conservative analysis of current evidence-based knowledge by the editor (hopefully a scientific advisory board in the future !), in order to avoid too numerous name changes without added value and without stability sake ; but this only concerns the generic level, while the species level is, as usual, automatically derived from latest published evidence, at least with a rediagnosis in case of proposed revalidation (beware, that strategy is different from listing various published results and/or published opinions to compare them without deciding) ; in any case, Killi-Data complies with principles, recomendations and rules of ICZN (International Commission of Zoological Nomenclature), notably in terms of stability and universality.
Communication and cooperation free services:
A new version of the website has been made available early 2012, and for the guest section, browsing is slightly different from the previous version (started in 2001) and since 2016, the whole knowledgebase has been coded with SQL parameters :
Free services for YOU without becoming a member:
- Obtain freely one PDF file for a species or genus name from the Data-Base (without being a member) as a GRATUITY, for your next article or your private use or as a sample before registering to Killi-Data.
- Ask a scientific QUESTION and get a free personal answer from an expert advisor.
- Be informed of ALERTS by monitoring them with your browser.
Free contributions from YOU to build up a cooperative community :
DONATE money to scientific institutions (it will be entirely redistributed) in order to stimulate research.
CONTRIBUTE by forwarding comments, corrections, additions, collecting localities, names of first breeders, of discoverers, breeding data, etc.
PROPOSE top quality color photos (uncompressed digital pics, only) for the data base
SUBMIT requests and offers, in line with Killi-Data objectives to build up a platform of COOPERATION.
Donate material (live fish or preserved fish with known origin) to RESEARCHERS or INSTITUTIONS
OFFER partnership if you organise a collecting trip to find co-collector via COOPERATE
Profiles of interest:
Find out how to become a member of the worldwide Killifish ASSOCIATIONS.
Be aware of the current and future fields of interest by RESEARCHERS on Killifish.
Check the list of historical CONTRIBUTORS to Killi-Data (why not you, soon ?).
Discover the INSTITUTIONS with their website, and donate to Killifish research for young researchers and young collector aquarists.
Submit a DOSSIER to obtain a grant to finance your first collecting trip, if you are an aquarist member of a Killifish Association.
Be aware of renown scientists and aquarists, as historical major researchers on Killifishes, listed with thanks in HONORS.
Refer to the copyrights, ethics, privacy rules, technicalities, credits for assistance, and disclaimers of the website
(with legal terms and conditions) in OPTIMIZATION.
Distribution of grants :
8 grants distributed for 3100 Euros or about 4000 US$ [Simona Santini (Italy, DNA Nothos), Graciela Garcia (Uruguay, DNA Austrolebias), Tom Van Dooren (Holland, DNA Lampeyes), Ondrej Sedlacek (Czechia, aquarist, Cameroon), Graciela Garcia (Uruguay, DNA Austrolebias, Trigonectes), Paul Loiselle (USA, collecting Madagascar [discontinued]), Tyrone Genade (UK/South Africa, Ph.D. research), Randall Brummett (Fishbase/Cameroun, collecting new Yaoundé Epiplatys)]. Details of accounts (Euros, since 2001): total revenues,
3578.80; total direct charges (slides duplicates, URL Internic and hosting costs), 1099.02; net account after re-distribution (loss), -820.72, as of May 24. 2012, date of inception of Killi-Data International [1 Euro = 1.25 US Dollar] and net account on May 15. 2013, after cumulative registration to the association in 2012, (still loss but much improved) : -220.44. The financial situation has improved progressively, becoming positive as early as end of 2013 and healthy since then. All cumulative details at FINANCIAL accounts.
Killi-Data aims to present all available information on Killies or oviparous Cyprinodontiformes fishes.
Killi-Data compiles state of the art knowledge, wherever it sources from, scientist or aquarist.
Killi-Data is evidence based, not opinion based. If conflicting results arise from distinct phylogenetic methods, then a compromise is selected that purports the maximum of results, ending up in a splitting way if stability is not threatened.
Killi-Data is a non-profit venture that redistributes all financial benefits,
the major part being attributed to young scientists or collectors to support research on oviparous Cyprinodontiformes fishes or
Killi-Data strongly encourages cooperation between ichthyologists, either professional or amateur, and aquarists to build a cooperative community of interest and knowledge.