A new version of the website is now available and for the guest section, it is slightly different from the previous version in appearance :
- This is not any more a single person project (although the initial author Jean Huber is still pivotal) and the whole project has been nested within a non-profit association named Killi-Data International
- On April 30. 2013, a new official FACEBOOK page has been created by a dedicated member of K-D-I : please write your likes, comments and suggestions [already 224 likes on May 15].
- The last update of the database for members-only on April 17. 2013 includes 658 killiflash, 1424 taxa (generic or specific level), 2331 photos, 176 maps, 4705 bibliographic references, 1 killiaquar.
- On February 28. 2013, a new INFOWEB is written by Jean H. Huber and published online after an exclusivity period to members.
- On February 25. 2013, Pocket Killi-Data 2013 is available and sold to aquarists groups and associations (more INFO) and the "guest" section has been extended to incorporate 1421 (then) new pages (snapshots)
- Killi-Data also maintains a regular flow of publications on paper : Killi-Data Series 2012 has been published on December 21., 2012, with a full revision of the genus Rivulus and its allied, a new genus described, and a replicate of a family-group name ; Pocket Killi-Data 2013 is scheduled to be published (for killifish associations or local groups, only) in a few weeks from now… if interested in any, please fill in the ORDER form
- The "guest" section is fully open and anonymous (no e-mail needed to enter) and it is fully updated with automatic programmes and a free RSS feed (easy and free to subscribe to get immediately any alert from Killi-Data)
- The "members" section is strictly payable after REGISTRATION (no more free granting for any person, contributor or not) : it remains easily affordable (6 Euro, i.e. about 7 US$, for a full year after permanent membership) and it is considerably enriched with new pages and with an automated updating process
- The "members" section mainly contains the database and all killiflash since 2001 (all major publications on killifish with reference, abstract and short analysis for each) : to freely check the contents of the database, please read the SAMPLE page, or if you intend to write an article, ask for a GRATUITY page of a given name of killifish
- The "guest" section holds a lot of advertising (please readily click on links if interested) : this is aimed to cover the costs of IT development programmes each year so that most fees from "members" are redistributed to young researchers and to aquarists-collectors for their first trip
- This is not any more, at the generic level, a mirror of current research (it became too unstable since 2009) but an objective analysis of current knowledge, in order to avoid too numerous name changes without added value and without stability sake ; but this only concerns the generic level, while the species level is, as usual, automatically derived from latest published evidence (beware, that strategy is different from listing various published results and/or published opinions to compare them without deciding)
- In total, the principles of the project are maintained -data quality and financial redistribution- even if present losses (from the past… about 300 US$, but soon the financial equilibrium will be recovered !) need to be compensated, and even if, because the project is not a single person project anymore, it may only be long-term living by data contributions from all members
Communication and cooperation free services:
Free services for YOU :
Obtain freely one PDF file for a species or genus name from the Data-Base (without being a member) as a GRATUITY, for your next article or your private use or as a sample before registering to Killi-Data.
Ask a scientific QUESTION and get a free personal answer from an expert advisor.
Be informed of ALERTS by subscribing to the RSS feed with your browser.
Free contributions from YOU to build up a cooperative community :
DONATE money to the association (it will be entirely redistributed) in order to stimulate research and/or collecting trips by aquarists for their first trip.
CONTRIBUTE by forwarding comments, corrections, additions, collecting localities, names of first breeders, of discoverers, breeding data, etc.
PROPOSE top quality color photos (uncompressed digital pics, only) for the data base
SUBMIT requests and offers, in line with Killi-Data objectives to build up a platform of COOPERATION.
Donate material (live fish or preserved fish with known origin) to RESEARCHERS or INSTITUTIONS
OFFER partnership if you organise a collecting trip to find co-collector via COOPERATE
Profiles of interest:
Find out how to become a member of the worldwide Killifish ASSOCIATIONS.
Be aware of the current and future fields of interest by RESEARCHERS on Killifish.
Check the list of historical CONTRIBUTORS to Killi-Data (why not you, soon?).
Discover the INSTITUTIONS with their website, and donate to Killifish research for young researchers and young collector aquarists.
Submit a DOSSIER to obtain a grant to finance your first collecting trip, if you are an aquarist member of a Killifish Association.
Be aware of renown scientists and aquarists, as historical major researchers on Killifishes, listed with thanks in HONORS.
Review the FINANCIAL accounts of Killi-Data, in full transparency, with benefits entirely redistributed.
Refer to the copyrights, ethics, privacy rules, technicalities, credits for assistance, and disclaimers of the website
(with legal terms and conditions) in OPTIMIZATION.
Distribution of grants :
8 grants distributed for 3100 Euros or about 4000 US$ [Simona Santini (Italy, DNA Nothos), Graciela Garcia (Uruguay, DNA Austrolebias), Tom Van Dooren (Holland, DNA Lampeyes), Ondrej Sedlacek (Czechia, aquarist, Cameroon), Graciela Garcia (Uruguay, DNA Austrolebias, Trigonectes), Paul Loiselle (USA, collecting Madagascar), Tyrone Genade (UK/South Africa, Ph.D. research), Randall Brummett (Fishbase/Cameroun, collecting new Yaoundé Epiplatys)]. Details of accounts (Euros, since 2001): total revenues,
3578.80; total direct charges (slides duplicates, URL Internic and hosting costs), 1099.02; net account after re-distribution (loss), -820.72, as of May 24. 2012, date of inception of Killi-Data International [1 Euro = 1.25 US Dollar] and net account on May 15. 2013, after cumulative registration to the association in 2012, (still loss but much improved) : -220.44
Killi-Data aims to present all available information on Killies or oviparous Cyprinodontiformes fishes.
Killi-Data compiles state of the art knowledge, wherever it sources from, scientist or aquarist.
Killi-Data is evidence based, not opinion based. If conflicting results arise from distinct phylogenetic methods, then a compromise is selected that purports the maximum of results, ending up in a splitting way if stability is not treatened.
Killi-Data is a non-profit venture that redistributes all financial benefits,
the major part being attributed to young scientists or collectors to support research on oviparous Cyprinodontiformes fishes or
Killi-Data strongly encourages cooperation between ichthyologists, either professional or amateur, and aquarists to build a cooperative community of interest and knowledge.